Sunday, April 19, 2009

Getting the Full Story

I'm back home after another action-packed weekend on the road. This time, my journeys took me to Long Beach, Calif. for the third round of the American Le Mans Series. While my main priority there was covering the sports car race for SPEEDtv.com, I also was able find a little time to do some reporting for my final Advanced Sports Reporting project.


©2009 John Dagys

The focus for the final project is on the small teams in the Series, and how they're getting by race after race in these tough economic times. I interviewed a number of team owners, including Intersport Racing's Clint Field and LG Motorsports' Lou Gigliotti. These are two of the true privateers in the championship, and I was surprised by some of their thoughts. American Le Mans Series President and CEO, Scott Atherton, also took time out of his busy schedule to sit down with me and discuss the current state of independent teams in the Series.

Overall, I'm pleased with the amount of reporting accomplished at Long Beach, and I'll probably only need a few more interviews to complete this project.

In case you'd want to check out some of my work done over the weekend, here's some links:

Heroes of the American Le Mans Series: Corvette Racing

Thursday Photo Gallery

Friday Notebook

Friday Photo Gallery

1 comment:

  1. John,

    Great field reporting. You produced a lot of great content. And working in time for the "big picture" story is great. Let's get your photos moved over to the server tonight or in the next day or two, so we can think about how to package the piece. Any thoughts on sidebars? A graphic?

    One thought might be to outline what a typical budget looks like, where cuts have been, etc. This would make a nice breakout graphic that we can link off the main story. We should have plenty of photos to work into it as well.

    Another thought: Make sure we have some shots of the people you interviewed in the piece, too. Some great racing shots in the gallery.

    Caught some highlights of the Long Beach Grand Prix on NBC-5 last night. Ashley Judd, of course, was in the shot. As always ...

    Cheers, Mike Reilley

    ReplyDelete